An arrest has been made in connection with the 18-year-old who passed away after taking the “Green Rolex” ecstasy tablet. The BBC is reporting that a 24-year-old man was taken into custody and is expect to appear at Dumbarton Sheriff Court sometime today.
We will continue to update this thread as more information is provided.
The Daily Record is confirming that Demi Campbell, age 18, is actually the 15th victim of the fake “Green Rolex” ecstasy tablets that are being distributed throughout Scotland and Ireland.
In the past two months alone, the pills have been blamed in the deaths of seven young men and one woman. They believe “paramilitaries linked to the Ulster Volunteer Force are behind the trade [in Northern Ireland].” A paramilitary is an armed force that is not linked to any government or state.
While police are out investigating, they also want to warn the public of another white pill with a Mitsubishi logo and yellow tablet with a star logo.
This weekend is the 20th anniversary of T in the Park, which will feature performances by Mumford & Sons, Chase & Status, Calvin Harris, Rihanna, The Killers, David Guetta and more. Revelers and attendees are warned to watch out for these drugs as they should be considered extremely dangerous.
If you see signs of someone in trouble, get help immediately.
via Daily Record
Just yesterday an 18-year-old woman passed away at the hospital after taking “Green Rolex” ecstasy with three friends. The male friends ages 18, 21 and 25 were also taken to the hospital, where the 25-year-old is still being treated.
The death yesterday makes it the seventh in the U.K. alone while the pills may be responsible for more deaths worldwide. The Mirror reports that another brand called “Red Chariots” are also considered tainted and highly dangerous.
There’s no telling if the green pills stamped with the Rolex crown were the exact reason for these deaths, but the concern surrounding the tainted drugs is legitimate.
Superintendent Grahame Clarke spoke at a press conference saying;
“We have yet to establish if this particular pill is to blame for the death of this young woman, but the fact that she and her friends took pills described as green and with a Rolex stamp on it causes us real concern.”
“The exact contents of the pills are unknown but they could contain dangerous chemicals and users need to be aware of the dangers and understand the devastating effect they can have.”
The Police Service of Northern Ireland believes that the drugs contain PMMA (paramethoxymethamphetamine), a dangerous stimulant known as “death” that leads to rampant overheating.
According to The Huffington Post;
PMMA is five times as toxic as MDMA. The initial effects often take longer to kick in and are milder than when using MDMA, often leading users to take more of the drug.
While the best policy is “just say no to drugs”, it would be ignorant to disregard that adults are able to act on their own freewill. To be safer, you can follow Mixmag’s recommendation of getting ahold of a pill testing kit or check pill report to see what your substances really contain.
Whether you’re involved or not, it’s critical that you’re aware. I’ve turned a few people into the medical tents, people that I didn’t even know because if someone is in trouble getting help early can really save a life.